Detox needs to be done carefully and gently. When we detox, if our body is not able to fully get rid of the toxins, they just end up in a different part of the body and may even cause more harm. If we are harsh in our detox methods, our body will suffer.
Indications that you need to detox may include headaches, fatigue, nausea, and inability to lose weight.
Here are some gentle detox methods to try – one at a time!
1. Bowel Movements – we were made to detox in this way. If you do not have regular (at least once daily) bowel movements, you need to add fiber to your diet (and see the next item).
2. Hydration – water helps our body to eliminate toxins. You can tell if you are drinking enough water by checking the color of your urine – it should be a very light yellow and clear. If you take a Vitamin B supplement, that may make it darker. Try to check first thing in the morning before taking anything.
3. Binders to prevent re-toxification – If you find you are having a reaction to the detoxification (achiness, fatigue), you may wish to use a binder such as activated charcoal tablets or chlorella tablets.
4. Lymphatics – The lymphatic system is our waste removal system. Unlike the heart, it does not have a pump to move things along. That’s why you must create the movement by walking, rocking and/or getting a massage.
5. Drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning with the juice of 1/2 a fresh organic lemon or lime is another gentle way to detox.
6. Dry brushing is a great way to remove dead skins and get your circulation going. You can purchase one and find information online. The basic method is to brush in a circular motion starting at your feet and working your way up.
7. Foot baths are another great way to draw toxins from the body. You can simply use a dish tub with warm water and Epsom Salts (and perhaps a dash of an essential oil like lavender) or you can purchase an ionic foot bath.
With any of these methods, it is important to pay attention to your body and adjust what you are doing and thinking accordingly. The more we pay attention, the better care we can give ourselves. Just the act of paying attention sends signals to our body to which it will respond – positive, loving thoughts always help the body to heal or stay healthy.